Those who campaigned for Brexit promised a bright and prosperous future – with a booming economy and a healthier democracy. But they also had another agenda: to deregulate our economy, undermining rights and protections, and to blame migrants for the results of government and corporate failings.
The UK may have left the EU, but Brexit is only just beginning. In the coming months and years, as Britain leaves the orbit of the EU, we will begin to feel its real consequences. But unless we can bring together the these consequences and tell a coherent story about them, Brexit will be experienced as a series of disconnected shocks.
Brexit Spotlight exists to ensure meaningful accountability in the post-Brexit era, and to build campaigns and initiatives which push back. We will:
- Collate and investigate the consequences of Brexit as they happen, and tell a coherent story about them
- Point to, and be an active part of developing, campaigns that seek to address the injustices arising from Brexit
- Play a part in rebuilding an alternative vision for the UK’s future and a close, progressive relationship with Europe
In seeking to hold decision-makers to account on the fallout of Brexit, we will measure outcomes against:
- Promises that were made by campaigners and politicians in the referendum of 2016 and subsequent elections
- Impact on rights and protections that were once enshrined in EU law
- Impact on livelihoods: jobs, pay and conditions
Brexit Spotlight is an initiative of Another Europe is Possible.
If you want to write for us, check out our guide for contributors.